Friday, January 16, 2015

I Got Skills

Today's prompt:  If you could choose to be a master (or mistress) of any skill in the world, which skill would you pick?

First thing that comes to mind...singing.

I really wish I was a better singer.  I can clearly remember two different instances, probably around middle school, when I became aware of my lack of skills in this area.  I had never thought much about it or been self-conscious about my voice until then.  Once was at a youth group event, singing with a church full of kids.  I had brought a friend and I remember hearing her singing next to me and suddenly realizing that she had talent that I did not.  Another time was at a sleepover with friends...these girls loved to sing and dance (another skill I could certainly use improvement in!), and they were belting out Disney songs while we danced around the basement.  I joined in, but was very aware of my inability to carry a tune.

Ever since then, I've been very self-conscious about my voice.  I never sing loudly.  Sometimes I just whisper or mouth the words when I'm in close proximity to others.

If I'm talking to someone about a particular song and they ask, "How does it go?"  I immediately feel awkward.  I know that even if I tried, my version wouldn't sound anything like the real thing.  Usually it's pretty embarrassing.

I've been trying to practice, though, in the comfort of my own car.  :)  Sometimes I think, "maybe I'm not so bad after all."  And then there are other times...like yesterday when I had myself laughing out loud at how horrible & off-key I sounded.

I would love to be a talented singer and not worry about what other people thought.  To be able to sing with confidence and enjoy it.

Maybe it will never happen.

But at least I'm learning to laugh about it, right?

No comments: