Saturday, January 17, 2015

Best Part of My Day

Standing in the return line at Kohl's.  The surprisingly long return line considering it is not the week after Christmas and it is 7pm on a Saturday night (yes, I'm a party animal, I know!).  

I walk up behind an adorable elderly couple and casually comment on the long line.  The guy says, "You're not in a hurry, are you?"

I shrug. "No, not really."

"Because, if you are, I can go up there and speed things up," he says confidently.

We share a laugh.  Then he turns around.  A few moments later, he turns to show me a picture on his phone.

"Look at that pile of snow!" he exclaims, showing me a mound created by the plow truck, as if it's the most amazing thing he's ever seen.

"Wow!" I say. I ask where the picture was taken.

"At the old folks home."  He laughs.

He turns back around.  His wife says something quietly, probably telling him to leave me alone. :)

A few seconds pass, then he's back with another photo.

"That's my dog."

"Aww, cute!" I reply.

"He's dead now," he says bluntly, then he laughs again.  I can't help but laugh too.

Then it's his turn at the register.

"I'll make it quick, so you don't have to wait long."

He banters with the clerk, then as he leaves, he says to me, "Thanks for coming in!"

I couldn't help but walk through the rest of the store with a goofy smile on my face.  Oh, the little things.  Day made.


Second Best Part of My Day

Sitting in Starbucks, working on my computer.  Overheard conversation of two twenty-something girls, talking about a friend and her boyfriend.

"Their relationship sounds so boring!  She said they are trying not to make out."

"What?!"

"Yeah, I can't imagine trying not to.  Why would you do that?"

"I know!  It's so fun!"

"What are they going to do if they get married?  Wait a year to have sex for the first time?"

Oh dear.

No comments: