Tuesday, January 20, 2015

21 Days to New Habits?

Some say it takes 21 days to form a new habit.

Upon further research, apparently that's a myth.  (On a side note, if you don't know the "apparently kid" you should check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz5TGN7eUcM  You're welcome.)

One article I read said realistically, it takes 2-8 months to build new behaviors into your life.

In any case, I've been working on some new habits, and I'm about to hit the 21 day mark, so I'll call it a small victory. :)

I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, but I did decide to start some new things on January 1st, and so far they've been successful.

1. Gratitude Jar

Every day I take a little slip of paper and write down something I'm thankful for, something good that happened that day, or something I might want to remember.  The goal is to be able to look back at the end of the year & see all the things I have to be grateful for.  So far it's been a great way to reflect on the day and it's fun to watch the jar fill up!  (Another random side: This jar used to be my fish bowl :) )


2. Q&A a Day Journal



I saw this journal on someone else's blog and thought it was such a cool idea.  There's a question for each day of the year with lines for 5 different years.  I can't wait to see how my answers compare next year.

(Don't worry, I think today's answer is "no")


3. My Utmost for His Highest



I'm pretty sure this book has been in my house at least since I was in high school.  I've read it in bits and pieces over the years, but I always get something new out of it.  I've been reading it daily since the beginning of the month, and even though I don't always understand all of Mr. Chambers' fancy language, it always challenges me.  If you've never read it, I highly recommend it...and I think they have versions in more modern language now as well.


I guess if I had to give this month a theme, I would say "Reflection."  I hope to keep these habits going even as the busy season approaches at work.

Only 1-7 months to go to form the habit!

No comments: