Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Moses

When I think of Moses, I usually think of a man of great faith and obedience to God. Hebrews 11 says of Moses, “By faith…he chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin…. By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible.” I’d say that’s a pretty honorable way to be remembered.

But do you know how many times Moses questioned God when God told him to go to the king? At least seven times! Moses said things like: “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh?” “What if they do not believe me or listen to me?” “Since I speak with faltering lips, why would Pharaoh listen to me?” Moses had lots of fears and doubts.

God not only appears to Moses in a burning bush, but speaks audibly to him. (Haven’t we all at times wished for a sign so clearly from God?) But even with the Lord’s reassurance, Moses remains unconvinced. God says, “Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.”

Moses’ response? “O Lord, please send someone else to do it.”

Is this really the same guy they’re talking about in Hebrews?

It’s a little disappointing to see Moses this way, but at the same time, I guess it’s kind of comforting. If God can do such amazing things through this guy, with all his doubts and complaints and weaknesses, it gives us hope that he can do great things through us too. God didn’t give up on Moses and he hasn’t given up on us either.

No comments: