Monday, January 26, 2009

Here & Now

Could it be that I’m trying too hard to find something that I’ve already got? I constantly struggle with the question of what I should do with my life. What kind of job should I look for? Where should I go? How should I be serving? How should I use my degree? Should I go back to school? And so it goes…

But maybe I’m asking the wrong questions. Maybe I should just be asking how God wants to use me where I’m at right now. I recently read a paper that I wrote during my final semester of college in which I was supposed to basically sum up my college experience and set goals for my future. In one part, I said I was unsure about teaching, but I knew that I was passionate about & wanted to be involved in camping ministry. And here I am. I got just what I said I wanted. So why all the questions?

My mom sent me a devotion today entitled “Hiding in Fields.” It talked about the story of David in 1 Samuel when God anointed David King of Israel then sent him right back to tending his sheep. God clearly told David that he would be king, but it didn’t happen immediately. David continued ‘hiding in fields,’ faithfully doing his everyday work until the time was right for the next step. David knew he had a much greater calling in the future, but that didn’t discount the work he was doing right then, right where he was at.

This isn’t an excuse to settle, it’s a call to be faithful and to trust fully in God, even when we don’t feel like we’re doing great, life-changing things. We’ll never be fulfilled if we’re always looking for something bigger and better. We will only be satisfied when we learn to submit to God and let Him use us for his glory at all times and in all places.

For the paper I referenced earlier, I was asked to develop a mission statement for my life. Here’s what I came up with: “My purpose is to love God and love others through obeying God faithfully, serving with humility, and building meaningful relationships in the context of community.” If I’m truly living up to this, I think I’ll be okay – wherever I’m at, whatever I’m doing.

No comments: