Sunday, January 11, 2009

Child of God

While I was working with my Kindergartners at church today, I realized how much their acceptance means to me. Sometimes I feel like I'm the kid who wants to fit in. I love when they remember my name & when they want me to play with them or hold their hand or want me to sit next to them. I don't always feel like going, but as soon as I'm there, I love it. I think a lot of times it does more to help me than I actually do for the kids.

There was one little girl there today whom I'd never seen before. She was really tiny & really quiet & looked much younger than the other kids. I tried to talk to her when she first got there, but she just acted really shy & went off to play somewhere else. Later, though, during the worship time, she came up next to me & wanted to hold my hand, then wanted me to pick her up. I held her while we were singing & she laid her head on my shoulder & completely relaxed. I think that's one of the best feelings in the world. And it was just as we were singing a song about being a child of God. It made me think of how much God must love us if He calls us his children. I didn't even know this little girl & I loved that she wanted to be close to me. How much more must God, our Father, love it when we want to crawl into His arms & surrender to Him. And why are we so reluctant to do so? It should be the place we most want to be.

No comments: