Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Language Barrier


I've read and heard lots of different things about prayer all my life. Some people say you're supposed to be very specific and ask big things of God, expecting in faith that he will answer. And I've heard testimony of how this has proven true in many people's lives.

And then on the other extreme, I've been told that we are not to expect anything from God. Not that we think God won't work in big ways, but we are not God and we are not entitled to anything so we should not expect anything from him. He does not work according to our plans.

So, where's the balance between the two? If I live according to the first philosophy, I end up treating prayer like a magic formula...always trying to say the right thing and be careful with my words, afraid of asking in the wrong way and getting something I didn't intend, or not having a big enough faith to get the results I'm hoping for.

This kind of thinking puts a lot of focus and control on me. It makes me responsible for the good and the bad -- I prayed well & had a lot of faith, or I didn't do it right & didn't believe enough. I'm pretty sure God doesn't work that way. I'm pretty sure it's not really about me at all.

But then if I take the second approach, I think what's the point in praying at all? God's got it all figured out already. Why does what I say matter? What difference does it make? I should just accept things as they come.

However, I know that can't be right either. Jesus clearly taught his disciples to pray. I know God wants me to talk to him.

But what am I supposed to say? What am I supposed to ask or not ask? Expect or not expect?

It's all so confusing.

Or maybe I'm just making it more complicated than necessary.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Prayer? I feel like it is so difficult when people talk about it in a theologcial context. I think I have a hard time thinking about it in that way. I just talk to God, tell him what is going on, and ask him to help me in whatever area. I don't expect that he will change things, but I do feel at peace with giving it to him. I trust that he is God and he will do whatever he wants, but I have peace releasing it to him.. Hope that helps..