Friday, August 13, 2010

The Fraidy Cat Thrill Seeker

There's nothing I love more than a good thrill. I love to ride the biggest rollercoasters, go down the zip line, jump from the Pamper Pole at camp, and the one that tops the list was skydiving a couple years ago. I love a good healthy dose of fear...that little bit of uneasiness in the pit of your stomach just before you take the risk.

But then there's that other type of fear...

It seems so silly now, really. But at 3:30am I heard the doorbell ring. And I froze. I started imagining all sorts of terrible things. I started hearing noises. I was afraid to get up and afraid to fall asleep. My mind was going crazy. And really there was no rational reason to be afraid. I didn't even know if I really heard it or if I had just dreamed it.

People have died from jumping out of airplanes, and that didn't bother me the least bit. But I'm paralyzed by a doorbell?!

It's amazing to me the power that fear can have over me. Both mentally and physically. How it can seize my whole being. Even if it is irrational and unfounded. I hate it. And it's amazing, also, how now in the daylight it just seems foolish. I can see clearly now that there was nothing to fear. But in the moment, in the dark, it's so real.

-----

Sometimes I wish I could shed some of that daylight onto the 'dark' and uncertain parts of my life. To stop worrying about the unknown and step boldly ahead with feelings of anticipation and excitement for the thrills to come rather than fear of what could be.

I was reminded of this quote from Helen Keller, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure."

I want to live a daring adventure. I know I hold too tightly to security, and most of the time it's false security anyway. I know that the only real security is found in Christ.

Hebrews 13:5-6 God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"


It's worth the leap...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's jump!!

You're right after Lots of Scotts in my blog reader :)